Preferred provider of Landscape construction, irrigation, and hydroseeding services to over 30 different school districts across Southern California.
When Hydroseeding Turf grasses there are many options in regards to seed variety…
Erosion control refers to a hydroseeding process that may, or may not, include a seed.
We can Hydroseed many different ground covers, and we have many avaiable…
What is Hydroseeding?
Hydroseeding is a planting process that uses a slurry of seed, mulch ( either recycled paper or wood) mixed with water that is sprayed onto your chosen site using a hydroseeding machine. It is often used as an erosion control technique on construction sites and as an alternative to the traditional process of broadcasting or sowing dry seed. Hydroseeding can be a very cost-effective way to begin a new turf lawn or to rehab an existing lawn. Many homeowners prefer hydroseeding over installing sod due to the lower price of hydroseeding per square foot. Hydroseeding is also an excellent way to overseed your current turf area.
How Much Does It Cost?
Prices can start as low as 7 cents per foot for very larger areas, but with so many variables, for example; the type of seed being used, type of mulch, and fertilizers, not to mention the cost of getting a large truck to your job site costs can vary greatly.
Hydroseeding has two alternatives: Hand Seeding and Sodding.
Hand Seeding is one of the least reliable ways of starting a lawn.
Installing sod produces excellent results, but can get very pricey for large areas.
Directions and Care
1-15 Days: The golden rule for hydroseeding is to keep the ground moist for a minimum of 30 days, without producing puddles. During these 30 days, germination will occur. The ideal times for watering are 9 am 12 pm and 3 pm (do not water at night due to a high risk of producing fungi). GROUND MUST STAY MOIST DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS 15 Days (optional): Lightly fertilize with a low nitrogen fertilizer. (ex. Best 6-20-20 XB can be purchased at www.siteone.com) 30-45 Days: First mowing takes place. The lawn should be mowed when 50% of the area is 2″ (inches) or taller. The mower must be sharp and free of debris. Continue mowing once per week. Cut back on watering to once per day after the first mowing. Morning watering is preferred. 60-90 Days: Apply a good quality weed and feed that is approved for use on your grass or groundcover. DO NOT APPLY WEED AND FEED IF TEMPERATURE IS OVER 85 DEGREES
- Allowing pets to urinate on the lawn as the ammonia from pet urine will stunt or kill the growth of grass in certain areas.
- Applying harsh chemicals during the heat of summer on new lawns will kill new grass
- Wait 1 day for Hydroseed to dry before beginning a watering program.
- Depending on your environment and (or) soil preparations, weeds may or may not appear.
- If weeds grow in with the Hydroseed do not use a weed killer or weed and feed until the lawn is mature
enough to withstand the treatment.
- Just mow weeds as you would your grass, once you apply weed and feed you can begin to control their growth
- After the grass is established mowing height should be 3 1/4″ to 4″.
- Fertilize 3-4 times annually with a good quality fertilizer. (Best brand 15-15-15)
- Due to the differences in PH levels and compaction in soil, it is NOT uncommon to have areas that are slow in the germination process.
- Many of these areas will fill in once weekly mowing begins.
- You must ensure that slow germinating areas are not due to the lack of water
- During cold weather or cooler overnight temperatures, it may take longer to germinate your seed.
- Hydroseed may splash on walls or sidewalks; this is also a regular occurrence and we do not recommend washing it off with water until the grass has grown in
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Hydroseeding cost?
Is sod better than Hydroseeding?
What is Hydromulching?
Does Hydroseeding cause weeds to grow?
What if weeds grow with Hydroseed?
How much should I water my new Hydroseeding?
What type of grass should I use to plant my new lawn?
When is the best time to Hydroseed?
How do I prepare for Hydroseeding?
Have a Project in Mind?
The actual spraying of the hydroseeding can be completed sometimes in less than an hour depending on the project. Call for a free quote. It is also very helpful if you know how many square feet you want to be sprayed!